Remember these important points
- Petroleum spills and leaks affect both public health and the environment.
- Petroleum spills can affect groundwater, surface water, soil, indoor air and outdoor air.
- Fuel companies can be responsible for cleanup of spills and leaks caused by their activities.
- Tank owners are responsible for cleanup of spills and leaks on their property.
- Help prevent spills and leaks by proper installation and maintenance of tanks and equipment.
- Prompt and proper cleanup of the oil spill/leak is essential to minimize impacts on public health and the environment.
- Contact the NYSDEC Oil Spill Hotline to report spills at 1-800-457-7362.