Statement By Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo And Albany County District Attorney P. David Soares
- The public integrity of state government and restoring the public trust are major priorities for both the Albany County District Attorney and the Attorney General.
- Proper investigation and enforcement of public integrity issues concerning state government is a major undertaking demanding considerable resources in terms of personnel and specialized expertise.
- In this area, the Attorney General's primary jurisdiction is civil and criminal jurisdiction is primarily within the District Attorney's office.
- We believe the most effective effort is one which forges a partnership between the District Attorney and the Attorney General; coordinating their jurisdiction and resources to jointly pursue wrongdoing of state officials in actions involving state resources.
- Cross-designations have been used before between state and federal and state and local prosecutors to designate individuals with criminal authority. Cross-designation between the Albany County District Attorney and the Attorney General's Office will be used to investigate and prosecute public integrity cases. This is the first such relationship in the area of public corruption between the Albany County District Attorney and the Attorney General.
- Such designations will be done on a case by case basis. Personnel will be designated as determined to be necessary. Personnel will be provided by the Attorney General's Office.