Question: Is the Court of Claims “Small Claims Court?"

Answer: No.  "Small Claims" courts are actually small claims parts of local courts (city courts or town or village justice courts) located in municipalities around the state.   The Court of Claims is the forum for claims against the State of New York and certain State-related authorities. It has no relationship whatsoever to Small Claims Court.

Question: Does the Claims Bureau provide legal advice to the public?

Answer: No.

Question: Does the Claims Bureau refer or recommend lawyers?

Answer: No. The Bureau does not provide legal advice to the public or make attorney referrals.
Learn more about general resources on how to Find an Attorney
Question: What are the service and filing requirements for filing a Claim and/or service of a Notice of Intention? 

Answer: The service and filing requirements can be found within the Court of Claims Act.  See www.courts.state.ny.us for further information.

Question: Does the Claims Bureau handle professional licensing issues?

Answer: No, for more information on licensing and credentials see www.state.ny.us.

Question: How do I personally serve the Attorney General with a claim or notice of intention? 

Answer: In Albany, personal service is accepted at the OAG on the second floor of Justice Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12224.  In New York City, the Attorney General may be served at  28 Liberty Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10005. There are signs at both locations directing you to the correct offices.

Question: How do I apply for employment? 

Answer: See the link for employment on the Attorney General home page.