How to File a Public Integrity Complaint

Is the PIB right for me? 

Before you file your complaint with the PIB, please consider whether one of the below agencies would be better suited to handle your matter. Matters dealing with the below issues should be referred to the following agencies:

How do I file a complaint?

  • We need complaints in writing and on our complaint form.
  • Click here for Complaint form
  • Please state your complaint clearly and concisely. You should enclose copies of all relevant documents.
  • Do not send us any original documents.
  • Filing a false complaint is a Class A Misdemeanor.

Please understand that in order to resolve your complaint we may send a copy of your letter to the individual, agency or municipality you are complaining about.

If you have questions concerning your individual legal rights or responsibilities you should contact a private attorney.

If We Cannot Provide Any Immediate Assistance

If your concern is not one that we can assist you with, we may either refer you to another government agency which may be able to assist you or just note it in our records.

Please be advised that by filing a complaint with this Office, you have NOT initiated a lawsuit or a proceeding, nor has this Office initiated a lawsuit or a proceeding on your behalf.  If you believe you have an individual claim, you may wish to consult with a private attorney.

What happens after a complaint is filed?

Your complaint will then undergo a careful review process in which attorneys will evaluate whether sufficient basis exists for action by the Attorney General. Should we find that the matter is better suited to another bureau or agency, we will forward it to the appropriate office. (Please see common referrals) . As a matter of course, complainants are not notified of progress regarding their complaint or the status of the complaint, as it could interfere with the law enforcement process.

Does the PIB offer legal advice?

The Public Integrity Bureau does not provide legal opinions nor represent individuals. If you believe you have an individual claim, you may wish to consult a private attorney. Your local bar association provides attorney referrals.

If you are writing on behalf of a government entity, there are circumstances when the Appeals and Opinions bureau can render a legal opinion.