Business Guidance

My upstairs tenant is three months behind in his rent. While I have tried to be patient with him, I am at the point where I think it would be best to evict him. How can this be done in full compliance of the law?

Following appropriate notice, you may bring a summary non-payment court proceeding to evict your tenant. Only a sheriff, U.S. marshal, or constable can carry out a court-ordered warrant to evict a tenant. You cannot take the law into your own hands and evict a tenant by threats, use of force, changing the locks, or any other unlawful means. A tenant who is put out of their apartment in a forcible or unlawful manner is entitled to recover triple damages.