1. What are the responsibilities of Tobacco Compliance and Enforcement of the Attorney General?
Tobacco Compliance and Enforcement administers the receipt and disbursements of settlement payments, enforces the MSA's restrictions, and enforces other state and federal tobacco-related laws.

2. What is the Master Settlement Agreement?
The Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) is a legal contract between the 46 states, including New York, and five U.S. territories and the District of Columbia and the major tobacco manufacturers that provides numerous restrictions and prohibitions, including the ban on the use of cartoons in advertising, on marketing to youth, and on brand name sponsorships.

3. Can the Attorney General’s Office represent me in a private lawsuit against the tobacco industry?
No. The Attorney General cannot represent private individuals. You will have to hire a private attorney to represent you. Contact the New York State Bar Association’s lawyer referral service at 1-800-342-3661 or lr@nysba.org.

4. Where can I obtain more information about quitting smoking?
The New York State Department of Health Tobacco Control Program and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene have very helpful information concerning how to quit smoking.