Filing a Consumer Complaint

NEW:Tenant Harassment Prevention Task Force Complaint Form | PDF

Loan Modification Scam Online Complaint Form

Law enforcement actions are taken by the Attorney General to protect the public good and to ensure a fair market place.

However, for individual consumer complaints, the Bureau of Consumer Frauds and Protection offers an informal dispute resolution program for complaints against a merchant or business.

Although the Attorney General’s Office will do its best to assist you, we are not authorized to represent individual consumers in court or provide legal or financial advice.

If you need a lawyer, please consult with your county bar association.

To access complaint forms you will need Adobe PDF reader. You can download Adobe PDF Reader from Adobe Systems.

File Your Consumer Complaint:

Executive Offices

Albany Office
The Capitol
Albany, NY 12224-0341
(518) 776-2307
Click here for Albany Complaint Form
Click here for Albany Rent Security Complaint

New York City Office
28 Liberty Street
New York, NY 10005
(212) 416-8300
Click here for NYC Complaint Form  [Spanish]NYC Complaint Form - Spanish
Click here for NYC Rent Security Complaint Form [Spanish]NYC Rent Security Complaint Form - Spanish

Regional Offices

Binghamton Regional Office
State Office Building
44 Hawley Street, 17th Flr.
Binghamton, NY 13901
(607) 251-2770
Click here for Binghamton Complaint Form

Poughkeepsie Regional Office
One Civic Center Plaza, Suite 401
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601-3157
(845) 485-3900
Click here for Poughkeepsie Complaint Form

Brooklyn Regional Office
55 Hanson Place, Suite 1080
Brooklyn, NY 11217
(718) 560-2040
Click here for Brooklyn Complaint Form
Click here for Brooklyn Rent Security Complaint Form

Rochester Regional Office
144 Exchange Boulevard, Suite 200
Rochester, NY 14614-2176
(585) 546-7430
Click here for Rochester Complaint Form

Buffalo Regional Office
Main Place Tower
350 Main Street, Suite 300A
Buffalo, NY 14202
(716) 853-8404
Click here for Buffalo Complaint Form

Suffolk Regional Office
300 Motor Parkway, Suite 230
Hauppauge, NY 11788
(631) 231-2401
Click here for Suffolk Complaint Form

Harlem Regional Office
163 West 125th Street, Suite 1324
New York, NY 10027
Click here for Harlem Complaint Form  [Spanish]Harlem Complaint Form - Spanish

Syracuse Regional Office
300 South State Street, Suite 300
Syracuse, NY 13202
(315) 448-4848
Click here for Syracuse Complaint Form
Click here for Syracuse Rent Security Form

Nassau Regional Office
200 Old Country Road, Suite 240
Mineola, NY 11501
(516) 248-3301
Click here for Nassau Complaint Form

Utica Regional Office
207 Genesee Street, Room 508
Utica, NY 13501
(315) 864-2000
Click here for Utica Complaint Form

Plattsburgh Regional Office
43 Durkee Street, Suite 700
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
(518) 562-3282
Click here for Plattsburgh Complaint Form

Watertown Regional Office
Dulles State Office Building
317 Washington Street
Watertown, NY 13601
(315) 523-6080
Click here for Watertown Complaint Form

Westchester Regional Office
44 South Broadway
White Plains, NY 10601
(914) 422-8794
Click here for Westchester Complaint Form

Please remember the following:

  • We need complaints in writing and on our complaint form.
  • For consumer complaints, we encourage you to try to resolve the dispute with the company or individual before filing a complaint with us.
  • Please state your complaint clearly and concisely. You should enclose copies of all relevant documents.
  • Do not send us any original documents.
  • Filing a false complaint is a Class A Misdemeanor.

Please understand that in order to resolve your complaint we may send a copy of your letter to the person or firm you are complaining about.

If you have questions concerning your individual legal rights or responsibilities you should contact a private attorney.

Generally, the mediation service is not available for:

  • Complaints between businesses
  • In cases where the consumer has already gone to court
  • Where a judge has already issued a judgment
  • If a private attorney represents the consumer
  • If the dispute is between private parties - that is, not between an individual and a business.

If We Cannot Provide Any Immediate Assistance

If your concern is not one that we can assist you with, we may either refer you to another government agency which may be able to assist you or just note it in our records.

We look for trends or patterns of fraudulent and deceptive business practices.  We may then be able to take legal action on behalf of all New York consumers who are victims of the unfair or deceptive practices we learn about.

The Attorney General does not have jurisdiction over many areas of the law.  For an extensive list of other agencies that may be able to assist you, please click here